Coconut oil is one of the most popular oils (since ancient times in India) with more people using it every day because of how effective and versatile it is. Along with being one of the best types of oil for hair care and growth, coconut oil is very affordable, edible, readily accessible and safe to use.
With regular use, hair follicles get healthier and less strands fall out due to the high vitamin E and vitamin K content of coconut oil.
It is useful for keeping skin moisturized and healthy and improving overall health as part of a nutritious diet. For fast and healthiest hair growth possible it is important to eat healthy fats like coconut oil along with drinking a lot of water.
One way that many individuals utilize coconut oil is as an aid to keep their hair healthy, moisturized and growing strong, and to this end there are many ways to use this “miracle” oil.
Using natural products for hair care, which includes organic coconut oil, improves the condition of the hair while boosting shine and volume as well. The oil also improves the health of the scalp, fighting fungus and other microbes while supporting hair growth.
Coconut oil is a common ingredient found in hair care products and other cosmetic items. However, when combined with harmful inorganic ingredients, these products are less effective and can actually cause health issues if used long-term.
It is best to stop using hair styling products, shampoos and conditioners that contain harsh chemicals that damage and dry out the hair, and substitute with coconut oil for many of these products instead.
Integrating coconut oil into a hair care routine results in having thicker, longer and healthier hair growth with regular use.
Hair Growth Benefits
Coconut oil is well known for its numerous benefits for hair health and growth, which include:
- Protecting Hair Protein from Damage
The high lauric acid content of coconut oil makes it effective for protecting the proteins that make up each strand of hair as well as the hair roots. It helps to prevent breakage and improves hair health more than sunflower and mineral oils.
The low molecular weight of coconut oil helps it to penetrate where it can be most beneficial to both damaged and healthy hair.
- Use coconut oil liberally before or after washing the hair.
- Moisturizing Hair
Without adequate moisture hair is prone to dryness and breakage. Coconut oil counteracts this issue because of its ability to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft. The oil also helps to seal moisture into the hair which keeps it soft, preventing dryness and breakage. Regular application of coconut oil adds strength and moisture to rough, dry and thin hair.
- Conditioning the Hair
Instead of chemically-based and synthetic conditioners, using coconut oil as a conditioner is easy to do and helps to keep hair soft, moisturized, supple and shiny.
- Before going to bed, warm a generous amount of coconut oil and apply it to the hair and scalp.
- Rinse hair thoroughly the following day.
- Combine warm milk, henna and coconut oil to make a smooth paste.
- Coat the hair completely with the mixture and let it sit for twenty minutes.
For best results repeat two to three times weekly.
- Improving Blood Circulation
Massaging the scalp with coconut oil increases circulation which delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the roots of the hair, helping to improve hair’s growth and overall health.
- Use fingertips coated in coconut oil to massage the scalp thoroughly.
- Providing Vital Nutrients
Coconut oil contains essential nutrients for hair health and growth such as iron, vitamins E and K and antioxidants. These nutrients boost the growth rate, sheen and softness of hair while eliminating dandruff and dry scalp conditions and preventing excessive hair fall.
- Preventing Hair Loss
Coconut oil boiled and combined with sage leaves, lime water or gooseberries is an effective remedy against hair loss that also boost hair health when applied to the scalp and hair on a regular basis.
- Reducing Split Ends
Using coconut oil for a mild case of split ends works effectively for preventing them from getting worse.
- Combine almond and coconut oil and use the mixture to massage the scalp for several minutes.
Warning: Coconut oil does not mend split ends, so if there are a lot, it is best to have hair trimmed or cut to remove them.
How to Use Coconut Oil For Best Results
There are several beneficial ways to use coconut oil for healthy hair growth.
- Deep Conditioner
The ease at which coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft, along with its beneficial effects on dryness, split ends, dullness and hair damage make it a very effective deep conditioner.
Set aside several hours for using coconut oil as a deep conditioner to get the maximum benefit from the treatment.
Use the following instructions to deep condition hair with coconut oil, beginning with freshly washed and air dried hair:
- Melt organic virgin coconut oil in a heat safe bowl until it becomes completely liquid in consistency.
- Massage the oil into the hair and scalp using the fingers before switching to a hair pick or comb to distribute the oil throughout the hair.
- Use a small towel to wrap hair completely and leave it in place for at least half an hour.
- Wash hair thoroughly with a gentle shampoo to remove excess oil from the hair.
- Add a small amount of coconut oil to hair ends and throughout the hair before styling.
- Detangling Leave-In
Long and curly hair that is plagued with knots and tangles can benefit from a regular application of coconut oil.
Organic virgin coconut oil helps to make combing through hair easier without leaving behind damaging residue.
Use the following steps to thoroughly detangle hair with coconut oil before brushing or styling:
- Melt organic virgin coconut oil in a heat safe bowl until it becomes liquid.
- Massage the oil into hair ends using the fingers and work up the length towards the scalp, before using a comb to gently detangle the hair following the same pattern (ends to roots).
- Leave the oil in the hair and allow it to penetrate completely before brushing or styling as usual.
- Dandruff Treatment
Coconut oil is an effective treatment for scalps troubled with flakes and itching as a result of dry scalp or dandruff. Coconut oil is also a suitable replacement for chemical-laden commercial products such as hair colorants, shampoos, conditioners and styling products that lead to scalp problems.
Starting freshly shampooed, conditioned and detangled hair, use the following steps to treat dandruff and other scalp issues with coconut oil.
- Use fingers to massage a generous amount of melted coconut oil into the scalp.
- Use a small towel to wrap the head and leave the oil in place overnight.
- Rinse hair with a mixture of Epsom salt and water to help remove dead skin from the scalp.
- Hair Coloring Base
Coconut oils ability to penetrate the hair shaft makes it an ideal vehicle for delivering hair color. Along with providing an ideal mixing base, coconut oil helps color to come out more vibrant, while also preventing it from fading too fast.
- Combine melted organic virgin coconut oil with henna (coloring herb) and coat the hair from roots to tips.
- After waiting long enough for the color to set, remove excess coloring and oils from the hair with warm water and a gentle shampoo.
- Use a small towel or a shower cap to cover the hair, leaving it on overnight to allow the hair color to finish setting completely.
- Hair Growth Tonic
Coconut oil is an effective hair growth tonic that enhances growth rate, thickness and length.
Used as a daily treatment, coconut oil removes follicle blocking buildup while nourishing the hair and scalp with its rich fatty acid and vitamin content.
- Before getting ready for bed, wash, condition and detangle hair thoroughly with a comb or hair pick.
- Melt organic virgin coconut oil in a heat safe bowl until it is completely liquid.
- With the head upside down, massage the coconut oil into the scalp firmly using the fingertips.
- Use a towel to wrap the head and leave the coconut oil to penetrate overnight.
- Sun Screen for Hair
Coconut oil helps to protect delicate hair strands from the harsh and damaging rays of the sun by acting as a sunscreen.
- Apply melted coconut oil throughout the hair and scalp before using a brush or comb to distribute it evenly from roots to tips.
- Scalp Massage Oil
Coconut oil scalp massages help to boost blood circulation and increase the rate of hair growth by up to twenty percent when combined with specific essential oils.
- Melt a teaspoon of organic virgin coconut oil until it is liquid.
- Using the fingertips, massage the oil into the scalp thoroughly for at least ten minutes.
- Combine a teaspoon of liquid organic virgin coconut oil with four drops of rosemary oil.
- Massage it into the scalp for at least ten minutes before putting a plastic shower cap over the hair and scalp, leaving it in place long enough for the oils to penetrate the scalp.
- Wash hair thoroughly with a gentle shampoo.
For best results, repeat either treatment four to five times a week.
Other Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
Apart from promoting healthy growth, coconut oil has many additional benefits for hair, which include:
- Antibacterial and Antifungal Properties
The antifungal and antibacterial properties of coconut oil make it very effective for keeping the scalp and hair healthy and microbe free and boosting hair growth by preventing problems such as lice and dandruff.
- Treats Dandruff and Dry Scalp
Coconut oil is an effective treatment for a dry scalp or one plagued by dandruff. The oil contains fatty acids and antibacterial properties that get rid of itchiness and flakes. Instead of using dandruff shampoos that can be harsh on the scalp and drying to the hair, use coconut oil to eliminate unwanted flakes instead.
- Massage the hair and scalp with a combination of castor oil, coconut oil and warm water.
- Combine sesame oil and coconut oil before massaging the mixture into the scalp and leaving it in for at least thirty minutes before shampooing the hair.
For best results repeat this treatment on most days of the week.
- Hair Styling Aid
Coconut oil works as an effective hair styling aid because of how it moisturizes, conditions and promotes healthy growth along with the way that it melts and condenses while going through hot and cool temperatures.
- Use coconut oil as a daily styling gel or cream.
- Tones Hair
Extra dry hair benefits tremendously from the toning effects of coconut oil.
- Combine lavender oil with coconut oil and apply it to the scalp nightly, rinsing hair thoroughly the next day.
For best results, repeat treatment regularly.
- Prevent Gray Hair and Baldness
Problems associated with premature balding and graying are preventable with regular coconut oil use.
- Apply a mixture of Eclipta Alba leaf juice (or Bhringraj) and coconut oil to the hair and scalp.
- Soothes and Cools the Scalp
Individuals with constantly sweaty or hot scalps benefit from the cooling and soothing effect of coconut oil.
- Apply a liberal amount of coconut oil to the hair and scalp for instant relief.
- Protects Hair from Lice
Coconut oil is an effective method of treating and preventing lice when treatment begins at the first sign of infestation.
Known as a pest that is difficult to get rid of and that usually returns to the sufferer without proper treatment, lice are usually treated with chemical methods (such as permethrin).
Along with killing any lice present, harsh treatments also damage and dry the hair. Studies show that anise spray, ylang ylang and coconut oil combined are side effect free and more than twice as effective as using permethrin.
Another common treatment for lice is using a very fine-toothed comb on wet hair to remove the lice from the hair shafts, which tends to damage hair in the process. Lice removal without damage is possible when coconut oil is added to wet hair before combing.
In addition to this, when used as a leave-in or deep conditioner, coconut oil helps to prevent infestation by penetrating each shaft and repelling the lice. The benefits increase if tea tree oil, anise and ylang ylang are used alongside the coconut oil on a regular basis.
Use the following treatment for head lice:
- Combine one teaspoon of ylang ylang, one teaspoon of tea tree oil, one teaspoon of anise and three tablespoons of coconut oil (make double the amount for hair longer than shoulder length).
- Coat the entire scalp with the solution before massaging it in thoroughly and using a small-toothed comb to comb it through to the hair ends.
- Use a plastic shower cap to cover the hair and scalp before applying additional heat by sitting in the sun or using a hair dryer.
- After two hours, remove the cap and seal it in a ziplock back before throwing it away.
- Use a small-toothed comb to go through the hair again before washing.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly using a mixture of one cup of water and two cups of apple cider vinegar.
- Comb through the hair thoroughly using a small-toothed comb one more time.
- Apply coconut oil to the hair sparingly before styling.
For best results, repeat the treatment once every five to ten days over a period of several weeks to ensure complete lice removal.
- Treats Scalp Boils
Boils are a common scalp problem for some individuals when it gets cold and dry or after exposure to direct sunlight and harsh heat.
- Wash the scalp and hair often to keep it clean.
- Use a combination of olive and coconut oils to massage the scalp and reduce the irritation resulting from boils.
Warning: See a doctor if the condition does not improve after treatment.